2013年9月20日

Furyk: No hard feelings about Presidents Cup snub

Jim Furyk
LAKE FOREST, Ill. – Think Freddie wants to take back that Presidents Cup captain’s pick?

Not exactly, or at least that’s not the way Jim Furyk viewed his snub in the wake of his second-round 59 at the BMW Championship.

“You want a guy that’s playing well,” he said Friday, “but just because I shot 59 today doesn’t make me the best choice.”

A member of every U.S. team since 1997, Furyk will miss next month’s event after being passed over for Webb Simpson, who was inside the top 10 in points until the last qualifying day, and Jordan Spieth, the 20-year-old phenom who has a win and two other runner-up finishes in his first year on the PGA Tour.

BMW Championship: Articles, videos and photos

The decision was made on live TV last Wednesday, nine days ago, and only Thursday night did Furyk finally come to grips with the call.

“I was bummed about it,” he said, “but I’m not really like a spiteful person. I didn’t go out there with a chip on my shoulder to prove anything to anyone this week. I feel like my career has spoken for itself, and I really don’t have anything to prove to anyone.”

There’s a four-week gap between the announcement and the competition. Should the Presidents Cup decision be made later, so the best (and hottest) players are selected to the 12-man team? After all, Furyk has four top 10s in his last five starts, and now he’s tied for the lead at the third playoff event after only the sixth 59 in PGA Tour history.

Well, it’s not that simple, Furyk said.

Clothing has to be fitted and ordered. Programs have to be printed. Countless other behind-the-scenes chores.

“I hope to be a captain of a team one day, and I guess my selection isn’t going to come down to the last day and the last shot,” Furyk said. “I’m going to look at the guys that I think are the best players and that are going to give me the best opportunity to win the event. That’s what Freddie had to do, and he made his choice.

“I think the timing of it, though, the four weeks is probably fine. It’s probably needed, to be honest with you.”

没有评论:

发表评论