2013年9月11日

Prayad to Woo Lady Luck at Turnberry

Thai star Prayad Marksaeng is planning on being third time lucky at the Open Championship at Turnberry.

The Asian Tour strongman has featured twice previously at the world's oldest championship but he has been frustrated by the intricacies of links golf and missed both cuts.

The 43-year-old veteran, who will be joined by compatriot Thongchai Jaidee in the year's third major, hopes a change in his mindset will bring about some better fortune and sweeten a season which has already produced four top-three finishes.

“I am not thinking about redemption. But I have to prove myself with my game each day. I have to overcome the course and weather conditions. The winds are always going to be a factor at the Open. Maybe I shouldn't go over with the thinking of just making the cut. I think that has put pressure on me in the past,” said Prayad, who is known to use meditation to stay calm on the golf course.

“Playing conditions at the majors are always different and you have to find a solution. Maybe, I have to make myself love playing in the wind! It's easy to make a good shot when there is no wind but it is not like that at the Open.”

The smooth-swinging Prayad wrote British Open history in 1999 when he became the first Thai to qualify for the event. He made a return to Royal Birkdale last year but missed the halfway cut by one stroke when he shot a double bogey and bogey with three holes remaining in his second round.

Following six victories on the Asian Tour and three in Japan, Prayad wants to test himself regularly against the world's greatest players. A tied 15th finish at last year's US PGA Championship and a joint 13th result at the WGC-CA Championship earlier this season, where he was in contention at the halfway stage, are positive vibes that Prayad will bring to Turnberry.

He also played his way back into the US Masters in April by breaking into the world's top-50 and was on course to become the first Thai to play in all four rounds by opening with a 70. However, he slumped to an 81 in the second round, which has only served as a motivation for him to produce better results at the British Open.

“I don't know what will happen at the Open. But I will only do my best. I will have to learn and experience the golf course as much as I can,” said Prayad.

“I will try to be more relaxed this time. Last year, I made only two bad shots that jumped into the pot bunkers. I couldn't control that and missed the cut by one. I'm happy with my form this season but there is still work to be done.”

没有评论:

发表评论